LinkedIn is a great Web site to connect with your current or your future employer. LinkedIn is the opportunity to say exactly what you want to an employer about yourself and past employment. It is important to make sure you have an effective and well developed LinkedIn profile. Below are some steps you can take to make a strong LinkedIn profile:
1. Put a professional photo of yourself as your profile picture. This allows the employer to see you for who you are. Your profile is the opportunity to be both personal and professional.
2. Update your resume. Make sure your page has the most updated information on your site. Also, do not discount the past jobs because you may never know if the employer will see something on there that might set you a part. Adding more jobs to your profile resume cannot hurt you.
3. Make sure you have recommendations. There is nothing more important, besides your resume, than the recommendations you receive from past employers. Have your peers and professors provide recommendations and endorsements.
4. Just like any good social media page, write posts. This is a great way to update people about your professional life. This will allow you to gain popularity and interest from others.
5. Make sure to add your current classmates. This is one of the easiest ways to create connections and business allies. Who knows if the person sitting next to you will be the next Bill Gates? By adding your fellow classmates now, you will create business ties with them that will help you in the long run.
6. Make it your own. Having your LinkedIn page customized shows the employer your style. Just like putting your face to the profile, putting your style to the page is very important. It is recommended that you should customize your URL, page, and headline to be professional, yet catchy.