Need to remove Personal Information (aka Metadata) from your Word documents before sharing with others? It’s easy to find and remove hidden data and personal information
You can use the Document Inspector to find and remove hidden data and personal information in Word documents.
- Open the Word document that you want to inspect for hidden data and personal information.
- Click the File tab, click Save As, and then type a name in the File name box to save a copy of your original document.
Important It is a good idea to use the Document Inspector on a copy of your original document, because it is not always possible to restore the data that the Document Inspector removes.
- In the copy of your original document, click the File tab, and then click Info:
- Under Prepare for Sharing, click Check for Issues, and then click Inspect Document:
- In the Document Inspector dialog box, select the check boxes to choose the types of hidden content that you want to be inspected. For more information about the individual Inspectors, see Information the Document Inspector finds and removes
- Click Inspect.
- Review the results of the inspection in the Document Inspector dialog box.
- Click Remove All next to the inspection results for the types of hidden content that you want to remove from your document.