We wanted to make all users aware of a few tips for taking exams with Examsoft Examplify.
1. Restart your Computer BEFORE Exams – Sometimes we fail to realize how long it has been since the last time we restarted our laptops. Restarting your laptop will help speed up the performance of your computer, as well as install critical updates. This will help your machine operate faster during finals, especially when working within a program like Examplify. Restarting will also close down installers and other programs that may be running in the background and slowing down your laptop’s performance. There is nothing quite as frustrating as having your machine take forever to load your exam or upload your answers once you have completed the test.
2. Be sure to Quit Spotify Before Taking an Exam – Students at other law schools have reported issues with Examsoft from having Spotify open on their laptop when they open Examplify. In order for Examplify to work, it needs to lock down your computer into the exam environment. However, Examplify sometimes struggles with closing down the Spotify program and this can cause your computer to bog down or freeze in the middle of an exam… so for the sake of your own sanity, please make sure you quit the Spotify program Before you open Examplify.
3. Spell Check – Spell check is a very handy tool for exams. It is built right into the Examplify system now so it should work automatically. This is similar to most word processors like Microsoft Word where misspelled words are underlined in red.
4. Turn off your Antivirus – I know, I know… you should never turn off your antivirus, except when it comes to Examplify. Antivirus has been known to cause a whole host of issues with Examplify, from black screens, to screen freezes, it’s all antivirus fault. Any antivirus can trigger this and it can even be intermittent, so even if it worked fine during a mock exam, it might not work in the real final. So just to be safe, disable it for the exam, but then re-enable it afterwards.
4.1 Turn off Automatic Updating – Regardless of whether you are a PC or a Mac, turn off the automatic updates feature. Some operating system (OS) updates could cause major conflicts with Examplify without prior warning. So it is best to not update your OS unless you are sure it will work with Examplify. You can check which OS versions are supported by Examplify at ExamSoft’s website. We recommend disabling automatic updating on your laptop as it could trigger an update or even an update warning window during your exam, which could cause Examplify to crash mid-exam.
5. Word Count – Word count is a helpful feature in Examplify and is absolutely necessary for certain exams. However, it can be tricky to use sometimes. The character count automatically displays above your answer text box. But don’t be fooled by this number though, this is NOT your word count.
You can view the word count from this line though. To see more information, you can click on the paper symbol next to the character count. This window provides the total number of words, characters, and characters without spaces for the essay response. If text is selected in the current question, Examplify provides the same information for the text that is selected. This tool will help you keep your essays within your instructor’s specified parameters for the exam.
6. Take a Mock Exam – There is an easy way to check if your exam environment is working, simply download and launch a mock exam! This will test out the exam environment on your computer and will let you know in advance if you are going to run into any technical troubles on exam day. If you have any issues during a mock exam, please contact email@example.com.
7. Download Your Exam File Ahead of Time – Please download your exams before the exam day as occasionally there may be issues on the day of i.e. WiFi outage, ExamSoft service disruption, etc. Exams are usually available for download two days before the exam date. So you can avoid the panic of not being able to download your exam in time by simpling downloading in advance unless you enjoy intense anxiety, sweaty palms, and paranoia. Then again, if you are looking for a good adrenaline rush right before your exam, you can just wait to download until the last second.
For more helpful tips from Examsoft, please visit their Exam Taker Tips page.